Crowds in excess of 11,000 have watched each of the last 12 meetings between Blue-Green rivals UC Santa Barbara and Cal Poly. Another big crowd is expected to be on hand to witness the two schools clash on Saturday in front of the FOX Prime Ticket cameras.
#PLAYBIG | #BWCMSOC
Nation’s Best Rivalry On Prime Ticket
UC Santa Barbara and Cal Poly renew the nation’s most attended and intense rivalry as the two Central Coast combatants lace their cleats up this Saturday in a match that will be televised by FOX Sports Prime Ticket at 7:00 p.m.
This is the fifth straight year that Prime Ticket has carried the game, and each of the previous four times crowds in excess of 10,000 have filed into Harder Stadium to witness this clash.
CAL POLY VS. UC SANTA BARBARA AT HARDER STADIUM
UCSB has led the nation in average home attendance nine of the last 10 seasons. Counting games that have played at Spanos Stadium – the rivalry game has sold out the 11,075 seat venue for six straight seasons – the Gauchos and Mustangs have been boasted the largest single-game attendance for five straight years.
How They Stack Up
UCSB is riding a six-game unbeaten streak entering Wednesday’s road match against UC Davis. The Gauchos have recovered from an 0-4-2 start which included four straight losses at one point. Cal Poly began the season 0-4 but responded with a five-game winning streak. The Mustangs have since gone into another tailspin with three losses in a row. Cal Poly, 4-1 at home this year, hosts Sacramento State on Wednesday.
UCSB ran its winning streak to five straight last Thursday in a 1-0, double overtime triumph at CSUN. Incredibly, that was the fourth straight meeting in which the Gauchos won in extra time at Matador Field, following up previous trips in 2011, 2013 and 2015.
Causeway Cup Rivalry On Tap
UC Davis travels to Sacramento State on Saturday in another edition of the Causeway Cup. The series has been tightly contested since the Hornets joined the Big West as an associate member in 2012, with each team winning four times and tying twice in the 10-game span. The Aggies have won three of the four meetings played at Hornet Field since 2012.
The Pupil And The Mentor
The UC Irvine and CSUN kickoff from Matador Field this Saturday will mark the first time that Anteater head coach Yossi Raz and Matador bench boss Terry Davila will have faced each other on the sidelines. Raz was a huge part of the CSUN program for 13 years - four as a student-athlete and nine more as an assistant coach. He is one of only two players in Big West history to earn all-conference first team honors four times.
UC Irvine is tied for No. 13 nationally in goals (24), tied for No. 7 in assists (26) and tied for No. 9 in points (75).
• Sacramento State senior James Del Curto ranks 12th among NCAA active goalkeepers with 222 career saves.
• UC Santa Barbara freshman Rodney Michael has recorded at least one point in four straight games, and in seven of the last eight. After failing to tally a goal or an assist in each of his first four collegiate contests, Michael has reeled off five goals and four assists in the last eight games. A majority of that production has occurred during UCSB’s current six-game unbeaten streak.
• UC Irvine is 5-0-1 this season when Giovanni Godoy scores a goal.
• The Big West has won eight non-conference games against 2016 NCAA Tournament teams this year. Cal Poly and UC Santa Barbara defeated Portland, while CSUN and UC Irvine knocked off Denver. The Mustangs also have a win over San Diego State. The Gauchos toppled Pacific. Cal State Fullerton upended Vermont and UNLV.
• The Big West has defeated four nationally ranked teams this season. CSUN and UC Irvine downed then-No. 9 Denver on the same weekend. UC Santa Barbara earned a win over then-No. 14 Pacific. CSUN also owns a victory over then No. 18 Utah Valley.
4 The South Division went 4-3-1 against the North Division last week, but the North still finished with the better record (8-5-3) after two weeks of interdivisional play. The North is now 50-34-12 all-time versus the South since divisional play began in 2012.