Battle For Second Place Highlights Big West Docket
Big West Conference Baseball Release - Week 13
BIG WEST TID BITS
• With just three weeks remaining of the 2018 regular season and preseason favorite Cal State Fullerton sits atop the leaderboard with a 12-3 mark. This week the Titans return to Goodwin Field to host UC Riverside (5-10). UC Irvine and Cal Poly are tied for second at 8-7, but the tie will be broken this weekend as the two teams square off in San Luis Obispo. Hawai’i and CSUN are knotted in fourth with an even 9-9 record. The Matadors host UC Davis (7-11) in a weekend series while the Rainbow Warriors visit Fresno State in a nonconference series. UC Santa Barbara and Long Beach State, who both hold a 7-8 Big West record, face off at Blair Field this weekend.
• Cal Poly’s southpaw Trent Shelton pitched a five-hit shutout en route to a 16-0 victory over Hawai’i Friday evening. Shelton (4-2) earned Cal Poly’s first complete game of the season, striking out four and allowing just one walk.
• Tuesday, May 8 UC Santa Barbara hosts Pepperdine at 2:00 p.m. Prior to the start of the Gauchos-Waves showdown, the two teams will wrap up their suspended game from March 27, where it was halted after the 10th inning, at a 3-3 tie, due to darkness. The March 27 contest was played at Pepperdine, making UCSB is the visiting team and is set to be at bat first when play resumes.
• Versus the Nation: Cal Poly has turned 44 double plays to rank 19th...CSUN is sitting 14th in home runs with 58 and 25th in slugging percentage (.453)...Long Beach State paces the country in sacrifice bunts with 55, while Cal State Fullerton (43) is 6th and Hawai’i (45) is 9th...UC Irvine’s 29 sacrifice flies places the ‘Eaters in the 8th slot...The Titans’ five shutouts ranks 20th in the nation, while their strikeout-to-walk-ratio of 2.86 is good enough for 15th...UCI’s Andre Pallante holds the 6th spot in earned run average with an impressive 1.31 mark...CSUN’s Joey Cooper has been hit by a pitch 19 times this year to rank 9th...CSUN’s Albee Weiss is 7th with 16 home runs. His 48 RBI ranks 25th...UH’s Jonathan Weeks paces the nation with 20 sacrifice bunts and CSF’s Mitchell Berryhill is 7th with 12...UCI’s Nick Anderson has belted 7 sacrifice flies to grab the 7th slot...Rainbow Warrior Dylan Thomas and Dirtbag Chris Rivera sit 9th and 15th in saves. Thomas owns 12 and Rivera is one back with 11...LBSU’s Clayton Andrews the toughest player in the nation to strike out....Six triples by CSUN’s Justin Toemer, places him 7th.
• Midseason Watch Lists
Pitcher of the Year Award
UC Irvine’s Andre Pallante
UC Riverside’s Cole Percival
John Olerud Two-Way Player of the Year
UC Irvine’s Nick Anderson
Long Beach State’s Clayton Andrews
Stopper of the Year
Long Beach State’s Chris Rivera
• UC Irvine head baseball coach Mike Gillespie announced he will retire at the end of the 2018 season and will be replaced by associate head coach Ben Orloff, UCI athletic director Mike Izzi announced. Gillespie has amassed 361 wins since joining UCI in 2008. Under Gillespie’s guidance, UC Irvine made five trips to the NCAA postseason, including a College World Series (2014), the year he was named NCBWA Coach of the Year.