Ahuna's Record Breaking Effort Heads List of Women's Volleyball Honorees
KAIULANI AHUNA, UC RIVERSIDE – PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Senior • OH • Hilo, Hawai‘i • Kamehameha Schools
• Kaiulani Ahuna enjoyed a monster week as she broke two school records while helping UC Riverside to a 2-1 record at the Fullerton-UCR Classic.
• The senior outside hitter totaled 80 kills over the three matches, a 6.67 kills per set average, and hit .364.
• Ahuna broke the program record for kills in the rally scoring era, tallying 30 in a four-set win over Montana. She swung at a .462 (30-6-52) clip and added 14 digs for a double-double.
• Ahuna bettered that effort with 33 kills in a five-set loss to Eastern Washington. The output broke the school’s Division I record. She finished the contest hitting .316 (33-9-76) and scooped up a career-high 23 digs.
• She also powered the Highlanders to a sweep of Massachusetts-Lowell with 17 kills on .333 efficiency to go along with two blocks.
Others nominated: Torrey Van Winden (Cal Poly); Madeline Schneider (Cal State Fullerton); Aeryn Owens (CSUN); Hailey Harward (Long Beach State); Emily Allen (UC Davis); Loryn Carter (UC Irvine); Lindsey Ruddins (UC Santa Barbara)
OLIVIA LOVENBERG, UC SANTA BARBARA – FRESHMAN PLAYER OF THE WEEK
S • San Diego, Calif. • Canyon Crest Academy
➜ Opening her collegiate career at the Miami Invitational, setter Olivia Lovenberg averaged 9.46 assists per set as UC Santa Barbara finished 2-1 overall.
➜ Lovenberg tallied a pair of double-doubles as the Gauchos knocked off host Miami (Ohio) in five sets and swept St. Louis. The Gauchos also fell in five sets to Cincinnati.
➜ Against the Bearcats, Lovenberg dished out 37 assists and had 10 digs for her first career double-double. She returned against the host Redhawks for 51 assists and 11 digs, adding a pair of blocks.
➜ Lovenberg handed out 35 assists (11.67 apg) in the sweep of the Billikens. She also had three digs and a block solo.
Others nominated: Avalon DeNecochea (Cal Poly); Haley Carmo (Cal State Fullerton); Lexi McLeod (CSUN); Kashauna Williams (Long Beach State); Josie Ough (UC Davis); Abby Marjama (UC Irvine); Marissa Holt (UC Riverside)
MALIA BOLKO, UC DAVIS – DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Senior • L/DS • Benicia, Calif. • St. Patrick-St. Vincent HS
➜ Malia Bolko tallied 86 digs over four contests as the UC Davis libero collected her seventh career Defensive Player of the Week award.
➜ She helped the Aggies to a 3-1 record while earning all-tournament honors at the team’s own Aggie Invitational. Bolko posted a team- and tournament-best 6.62 digs per set.
➜ Bolko’s 37 digs against Northern Arizona ranked No. 3 in school history – and the highest total in the program’s Division I era, which spans back to 2007.
➜ Bolko had double-digit scoops in all four matches, including wins against Utah Valley (13), Holy Cross (21) and Nevada (15). She also dished out 23 assists for a 1.77 average.
Others nominated: Katherine Brouker (Cal Poly); Savahna Costello (Cal State Fullerton); Carly Hill (Long Beach State); Makayla Wolfe (UC Irvine); Chelsea Doyle (UC Riverside); Emilia Petrachi (UC Santa Barbara)