JUSTIN WRIGHT, UC DAVIS – OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK Senior • D • Los Angeles, Calif. • Crescenta Valley HS
Justin Wright led UC Davis to a dramatic come-from-behind victory over Causeway rival Sacramento State with a pair of goals.
• The senior defender recorded his first career brace to help the No. 17 Aggies close out non-conference play with a huge 2-1 overtime win.
• It was the first two-goal game by an Aggie this season – and the first since Kyle Higgins scored two against the Hornets last season on Oct. 29.
• Wright notched the game-tying goal in the 71st minute for his first goal of the year and collected his second with just over two minutes to play in overtime, when he knocked in his game-winner off the far post.
• Wright finished with four of the team’s 11 shots on the day, putting two attempts on frame.
• It represented his second career game-winning goal.
Others nominated: Diego Alonso (Cal Poly); Christian Pinzon (Cal State Fullerton); Benji Kikanovic (Sacramento State); Rodney Michael (UC Santa Barbara)
PAUL ANDRE-GUERIN, CAL STATE FULLERTON – DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK Junior • GK • Bastia, France • GFC Ajaccio Academy
Paul-Andre Guerin helped Cal State Fullerton to back-to-back shutout victories in garnering his first career Defensive Player of the Week honor.
• The junior played the full 90 minutes and registered his third shutout of the season – 11th of his career – in a 1-0 victory at Loyola Marymount.
• Guerin played the first 64 minutes and 12 seconds before giving way to the Titan backup goalkeeper in a 4-0 rout of San Francisco. The Titan defense allowed the Dons to take just one shot for the entire match.
• The 11 career shutouts moved Guerin into a tie for eighth on the Cal State Fullerton all-time list alongside Sean Rockwell (1998-2000).
• Guerin lowered his season GAA to 1.09 after posting over 154 minutes of shutout soccer.
Others nominated: Simon Boehme (Cal Poly); Luis Urias (Sacramento State); Jake Haupt (UC Davis); Faouzi Taieb (UC Santa Barbara)