SHELBY LEE, UC IRVINE – OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK Senior • MF/D • Carlsbad, Calif. • Carlsbad HS
• Shelby Lee claimed Offensive Player of the Week honors as her first two goals of the year helped UC Irvine to a pair of conference wins.
• The midfielder/defender scored a goal in identical 2-1 wins over UC Santa Barbara and Cal Poly, improving UCI to 3-0 in league play.
• Lee’s first goal of the season came on a header at the 39:48 mark of the first half to give the ‘Eaters a 1-0 lead on UCSB. The ‘Eaters later won in double overtime.
• Lee provided the heroics in Sunday’s victory over the Mustangs. A long free kick from goalkeeper Maddie Newsom found Lee amid a swarm of players from both teams, and her header bounced inside the post for the game-winning goal with just 28 seconds left in the second overtime.
• It was the first game-winner of Lee’s career. All four of her shots for the week were on frame.
MADDIE NEWSOM, UC IRVINE – DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK Junior • GK • Elk Grove, Calif. • Cosumnes Oaks HS
• Maddie Newsom contributed to both UC Irvine double overtime victories in multiple ways, giving the junior goalkeeper her first career Defensive Player of the Week award.
• Newsom recorded a 0.85 goals against average, surrendering just two goals in over 211 minutes of action as the Anteaters defeated both UC Santa Barbara and Cal Poly by 2-1 scores.
• She earned her 29th and 30th career wins in the process.
• Newsom made six saves against the Gauchos and two more versus the Mustangs to up her career total to 190, No. 4 all-time in program history.
• Also played a role offensively with game-winning assists in both matches. She provided a deep feed to Kelsey Pottorff in the 102nd minute Friday and took a free kick in the 110th minute on Sunday that found Shelby Lee for the game-winner. Newsom has three assists in her last four matches.
Others nominated: Sophia Brown (Cal Poly); Lindsay Kutscher (CSUN); Sarah Maher (Long Beach State); Annie Bailey (UC Riverside); Hanna DeWeese (UC Santa Barbara)