Nine Clubs In Action As Countdown To League Meet Hits Two Weeks
Big West Cross Country Weekly Release No. 7
This weekend in cross country features a full slate of action as teams gear up for final preparations before the Big West Championships.
UC Riverside hosts its second home meet of the season this weekend, welcoming clubs to the Inland Empire for the Highlander Invitational. Fellow Big West rivals Cal State Fullerton, CSUN, Long Beach State and UC Irvine are slated to compete in the meet along with host of other clubs. The 7th annual invitational will feature a men’s 6K and a women’s 5K.
Cal Poly will get a taste of fall in the Midwest this weekend as the club heads to Madison, Wis., for the Wisconsin Pre-Nationals meet. The competition will be held at Zimmer Championship Course, the site of the 2018 NCAA Cross Country Championships. The meet will consist of 8K races for the men and 6K races for the women.
UC Davis, UC Santa Barbara and Hawai’i will also be in competition this weekend, making the trip to Sunnyvale, Calif., for the Bronco Invitational. The Santa Clara-hosted event will boast a competitive field that features seven regionally-ranked teams on the men’s side and nine regionally-ranked clubs on the women’s side. The course at Baylands Park will feature an 8K men’s race and a 6K women’s race.
AROUND THE BIG WEST
• Hawai’i was the lone club in competition last weekend, competing in the Hawai’i Pacific Invitational on the North Shore of O’ahu.
The Rainbow Wahine finished second in the meet, led by sophomore Sienna Santiago. Santiago was fourth overall in 19:55.5, just ahead of teammate Alison Bowman’s sixth place personal-best showing in 20:12.4. The scorers for UH were balanced throughout their home course, finishing 4-6-8-9-11.
• Cal State Fullerton returns to the spotlight this year as the Titans will host the Big West Championship. This marks the first time CSF has hosted the league meet since 1997 and for the fourth time overall. The conference showdowns will take place at Carbon Canyon Park in Brea on October 27 with the men’s 8K slated for 8:45 a.m. and the women’s 6K commencing at 9:30 a.m.
• The updated regional rankings have Central Coast representation for the Big West as Cal Poly appears on both lists. The Mustangs have the 8th ranked women and 10th ranked men.
BIG WEST CELEBRATING 50/35
The 2018-19 season marks the 50th anniversary for men’s sports in the Big West Conference, and the 35th for women’s. All season long, the Big West Conference will celebrate the history of all conference sports. Join us as we pay homage to the student-athletes, coaches, staffs, communities and fans who have helped pave the way.
• Vince O’Boyle ran one of the most successful programs in Big West history, the UC Irvine women’s cross country team. O’Boyle was at the helm of the program from 1982-2013, shepherding the program from independent to Big West power. He won 12 league titles, 12 Coach of the Year honors and coached 12 Athlete of the Year recipients. All of those achievements are the most by a coach in Big West history.
• UC Irvine established the first dynasty in women’s cross country history, winning the first five titles and nine of the first 10. The 1984 Anteater squad is also the only team in Big West women’s cross country Championship history to post a perfect score of 15. In all, UCI won 11 of the first 20 titles in league history.
FOLLOW ALONG ALL SEASON