Canales, Hamilton Lead UC Irvine to Regular Season Title
IVAN CANALES, UC IRVINE – OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Senior • F • Santa Ana, Calif. • JSerra HS
Ivan Canales scored four goals, including a pair of game-winners, to notch his first career Offensive Player of the Week award.
• Canales led UC Irvine to its first Big West regular season title since 2013 with a monstrous week that included his third and fourth career braces in back-to-back double overtime victories.
• In a 2-1 win over Cal State Fullerton, Canales scored both early and late. He notched a penalty kick goal in the first minute, then collected the game clincher at the 101:30 mark when he cleaned up Jose Soto’s deflected shot and poked the rebound past the keeper.
• Canales contributed to all three goals in a 3-2 victory at Cal Poly on Sunday. He scored in the 30th minute, depositing a ball that had ricocheted off the crossbar. With the score tied at 2-2 in the second OT, Canales delivered a dramatic strike with two seconds left as he redirected a header with one of his own past the keeper.
• The forward also assisted on Alvaro Quezada’s goal in the 50th minute to secure a career-high five-point match.
• The assist was the 20th of his career, making him just the seventh player in Big West history with at least 20 goals and 20 assists. Canales also has 25 career goals.
• He was busy in both games, taking 13 shots overall with 10 on frame. Canales now leads the Big West this season with 10 goals and 25 points.
Others nominated: Sean Goode (Cal Poly); Christian Pinzon (Cal State Fullerton); Brad Bumgarner (Sacramento State); Andy Velasquez (UC Davis); Edward Benito (UC Riverside); Kaya Fabbretti (UC Santa Barbara)
DARREN HAMILTON, UC IRVINE – DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Senior • D • Wallsend, Newcastle, England • Hartwick College
Darren Hamilton made key contributions to the 3-2, double overtime victory over Cal Poly that secured UC Irvine’s first Big West regular season title since 2013.
• Hamilton tallied two assists in the win, giving him three helpers in the last four matches.
• On UCI’s first goal, Hamilton lofted and bended a shot off the crossbar that led to Ivan Canales on the doorstep, as he finished with a wide open goal in front of him.
• The defender was involved in the game’s final sequence that led to an Ivan Canales game-winner with two seconds left. Daniel Crisostomo’s long pass off a set piece found Hamilton inside the 18, as his header redirected to Canales going full tilt toward the goal.
Others nominated: Simon Boehme (Cal Poly); Tyler Moss (Sacramento State); Justin Wright (UC Davis); Uros Ilic (UC Riverside); Hunter Ashworth (UC Santa Barbara)