Ruddins Headlines Women's Volleyball Honorees With Eighth Career Award
LINDSEY RUDDINS, UC SANTA BARBARA – PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Junior • OH • Laguna Niguel, Calif. • Aliso Niguel HS
• Lindsey Ruddins collected her fourth Player of the Week honor this season – and the eighth of her career – as the UC Santa Barbara junior averaged 5.50 kills over 10 sets.
• The 6-foot-2 outside hitter powered the Gaucho offense with 55 kills over two contests, ending in a five-set loss to Long Beach State and a five-set win over CSUN.
• Ruddins pounded 31 kills against the Beach – her second contest eclipsing the 30-kill mark this year – and added nine digs, three aces and a block solo.
• She compiled 24 kills on an efficient .323 hitting percentage (24-4-62) versus the Matadors.
• Ruddins added 13 digs against CSUN for her 14th double-double of the season. She picked up two block assists in the match as well.
• Her eight career Player of the Week awards is now tied for fifth all-time in Big West history with Hawaii’s Emily Hartong and Pacific’s Jennifer Joines.
Others nominated: Torrey Van Winden (Cal Poly); Tyler Spriggs (Long Beach State); Emily Allen (UC Davis); Chelsea Doyle (UC Riverside); Faith Ma’afala (Hawai‘i)
KASHAUNA WILLIAMS, LONG BEACH STATE – FRESHMAN PLAYER OF THE WEEK
OH • Northridge, Calif. • El Camino Real Charter
• Kashauna Williams earned her first career Freshman Player of the Week honor with a well-rounded performance over three matches.
• The Long Beach State outside hitter averaged 2.58 kills, 0.83 digs and 0.75 blocks as her team went 2-1 for the week.
• Williams produced double-figure kills in two of three contests. She tied her second highest kill output of the season with 15 in a five-set triumph over UC Santa Barbara.
• Williams helped the Beach earn a set off No. 12 Cal Poly, handing the Mustangs just their second set loss in Big West play. One of her 10 kills clinched LBSU’s second set 25-20 win on Saturday.
• She collected 10 digs and nine blocks for the week, including five stuffs against the Gauchos.
• Williams added six kills in a sweep of Cal State Fullerton.
Others nominated: Avalon DeNecochea (Cal Poly); Josie Ough (UC Davis); Abby Marjama (UC Irvine); Nailah Jones (UC Riverside); Olivia Lovenberg (UC Santa Barbara)
REYN AKIU, HAWAI‘I – DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Senior • L/DS • Honolulu, O'ahu • Texas Tech
• Reyn Akiu notched her second Defensive Player of the Week award this season as she led Hawai‘i to a pair of road sweeps over UC Riverside and Cal State Fullerton.
• The senior libero recorded back-to-back match highs in digs with 19 apiece against the Highlanders and Titans.
• Akiu has registered double-digit digs in 18 of UH’s 19 matches this year.
• She added three assists against UCR and six more versus CSF.
• UH is second in the Big West with a 9-1 record.
Others nominated: Katherine Brouker (Cal Poly); Emma Kirst (Long Beach State); Josie Ough (UC Davis); Ali Koumelis (UC Irvine); Nicole Rodriguez (UC Riverside); Emilia Petrachi (UC Santa Barbara)