'Eater Tandem, Gaucho Hitter Keep Teams Red Hot
COREY CHAVERS, UC SANTA BARBARA • MEN'S VOLLEYBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Senior • Outside Hitter • Downey, Calif. • Gahr HS
• Corey Chavers garnered his third Big West Men’s Volleyball Player of the Week honor in four weeks as he helped UC Santa Barbara extend its winning streak to 10 matches.
• The 6-foot-4 outside hitter averaged 4.00 kills, 1.38 digs and 0.63 service aces per game as the Gauchos toppled No. 4 UCLA in five sets and swept UC San Diego in their Big West opener.
• Chavers hit .379 (32-7-66) over the two matches. He tallied 20 kills against the Bruins and 12 more versus the Tritons, his 10th consecutive match with double-digit kills.
• Chavers pounded 20 kills on .472 (20-3-36) hitting in a dominant performance against UCLA. He added six digs, three aces and a block.
• No. 6 UCSB then rolled to its 10th straight win as Chavers posted 12 kills, five digs and two aces against UCSD.
Others nominated: Kyle Ensing (Long Beach State); Aaron Koubi (UC Irvine); Collin Shannon (UC San Diego); Stijn van Tilburg (Hawai‘i)
JOEL SCHNEIDMILLER, UC IRVINE • MEN'S VOLLEYBALL DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Sophomore • Outside Hitter • Saratoga, Calif. • Saratoga HS
• UC Irvine sophomore Joel Schneidmiller put forth an all-around performance to earn his first career Big West Men’s Volleyball Defensive Player of the Week award.
• Schneidmiller, a three-time recipient as Big West Player of the Week this year, earned recognition on the defensive side of the ball in large part for his 10 digs in a five-set thriller over UC San Diego on Valentine’s Day.
• The 10 digs came up just one shy of his career-best. He added two block assists as the ‘Eaters held off a game Triton squad 16-14 in the fifth set.
• Schneidmiller also collected 11 kills for his fourth double-double of the year. He chipped in with four assists and four aces as UCI’s winning streak climbed to seven straight.
Others nominated: Simon Andersen (Long Beach State); Ryan Lew (UC San Diego); Hayden Boehle (UC Santa Barbara); Dalton Solbrig (Hawai‘i)
ALEXANDRE NSAKANDA, UC IRVINE •
MEN'S VOLLEYBALL FRESHMAN PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Opposite • Ottawa, Canada • Franco-Cité
• A breakout performance led Canadian national Alexandre Nsakanda to his first career Big West Men’s Volleyball Freshman Player of the Week award.
• Inserted into the match in the fourth set with UC Irvine trailing UC San Diego two sets to one, Nsakanda sparked an ‘Eater comeback with a productive 10 kills.
• The 6-foot-4 opposite hit .750 for the match, tallying the 10 kills on just one error in 12 attempts. He pounded seven kills in the decisive fifth set. His previous best was two kills.
• Nsakanda also had two aces and a block assist. His kill and ace in set five gave UCI a 13-10 lead.
Others nominated: Blake Crisp (UC San Diego); Ryan Wilcox (UC Santa Barbara); Filip Humler (Hawai‘i)