Final February Weekend Features Logjam After UC Davis
Big West Women's Basketball Weekly Release No. 16
UC Davis has a comfortable lead at the top of the standings but four clubs are jammed right behind as the final weekend of play in February could unlock some of the madness. CSUN and Hawai'i are tied for second with UC Irvine and UC Riverside just a half-game behind. The Rainbow Wahine could help undo some of the jam as they host UC Irvine and travel to UC Davis in a big week.
AROUND THE BIG WEST
Big West Celebrates 50/35
The 2018-19 season marks the 50th anniversary for men’s sports in the Big West Conference, and the 35th for women’s. All season long, the Big West Conference will celebrate the history of all conference sports. Join us as we pay homage to the student-athletes, coaches, staffs, communities and fans who have helped pave the way.
• While there have been many great scorers in Big West history, former Long Beach State great Cindy Brown had two of the greatest scoring seasons in league history. Brown played just 68 games in a 49er uniform but averaged a Big West-record 26.2 points per game. Both of her scoring seasons are in the top 10 all-time including her record 974 points in 1986-87.
• CSUN’s Channon Fluker is the all-time leader in Player of the Week awards but who won the first weekly honor in league history? That distinction, and trivia answer, belongs to Natalie Crawford of UC Irvine back on December 23, 1985. It was the first of two weekly awards for Crawford in her UCI career.
Channon Hits 2K
CSUN senior Channon Fluker added another milestone to her ledger last weekend. The senior crossed the 2,000-point barrier in the win over Cal State Fullerton, becoming just the ninth player in Big West history to do so.
The Game is About Buckets
Hawai’i has surged back into the mix during conference play, having won six of its last eight outings. The success of the Rainbow Wahine has been tied to their offensive output as the club has averaged 65.4 points in their conference wins while putting up just 48.0 a game in losses.
Gauchos Bounce Back (Again)
For the second week in a row, UC Santa Barbara lost its first game of the weekend only to bounce back against a club in the top three of the standings. Two weekends ago UCSB fell to UC Davis then topped third place CSUN by a point. This past weekend the Gauchos lost at Hawai’i but returned home and cruised past second place UC Irvine three days later.
She’s Got The Green Light
Long Beach State sophomore Naomi Hunt has established herself as one of the top three-point shooters in the Big West. The forward ranks first in the league in three-pointers made (49) and third in percentage (43.0). Hunt’s confidence from beyond the arc has been evident as she has already surpassed the number three-pointers made (48) and attempted (109) in seven less games from her freshman season.
Filling it Up in Conference Play
UC Riverside’s Jannon Otto is looking plenty comfortable as the Highlanders’ top option, especially in conference play. Otto is averaging 20.2 points per game against league foes, up from the 12.4 points per outing she posted in non-conference play. The junior has two 30-point games in conference play and has scored in double figures in eight of her 10 Big West games.
On the Way to 2K
Here’s a look where UC Davis’ Morgan Bertsch and CSUN’s Channon Fluker stand on the league’s all-time scoring list, and who they will pass, on their way to and beyond 2,000 points.
Player, Team Years Games PPG Points
1. Anita Maxwell, New Mexico State 1992-96 119 21.9 2,601
2. Judy Mosley, Hawai’i 1987-90 114 21.8 2,479
3. Genia Miller, Cal State Fullerton 1987-91 118 20.5 2,415
4. Brittany Crain, UC Riverside 2012-16 119 19.5 2,326
5. Morgan Bertsch, UC Davis 2015-pres. 124 18.1 2,242
6. Penny Toler, Long Beach State 1987-89 101 21.7 2,193
7. Alli Nieman, Idaho 1996-00 113 18.9 2,140
8. Kemie Nkele, UC Riverside 2004-09 122 16.9 2,062
9. Channon Fluker, CSUN 2015-pres. 119 16.8 2,005
10. Kristina Santiago, Cal Poly 2007-10, 2012 121 15.9 1,953
BY THE NUMBERS
3 - Cal Poly's Faith Mimnaugh is three wins away from 300 for her career.
5 - UC Davis' Morgan Bertsch has recorded five straight 20-point scoring games.
9 - UC Irvine's Andee Ritter is 9 three-pointers away from becoming the all-time program leader (199).
Follow Along All Season