Hawaii, UC Davis Earn Softball Weekly Honors
NICOLE LOPEZ, HAWAI‘I – SOFTBALL FIELD PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Senior • 3B • ‘Aiea, O‘ahu • Mid-Pacific Institute
Earning her second career Big West Softball Field Player of the Week award, Hawai‘i senior Nicole Lopez helped her team to a 5-2 record with a team-leading .522 average.
• The third baseman started all seven games and had 12 hits in 23 at-bats. She led the Rainbow Wahine in hits, doubles (3), home runs (4), runs scored (10) and stolen bases (3).
• Lopez also sported a team-leading 1.174 slugging percentage and .560 on-base percentage.
• She posted at least one hit in all seven games. Four times she collected multiple hits, including a 3-for-3 effort against Canisius.
• In the 7-2 win over Canisius, Lopez unloaded a pair of two-run home runs to finish with four RBI.
• Lopez also cranked two-run homers against DePaul and New Mexico.
• The O’ahu native scored the game-winning run in a 3-2 triumph over the Lobos, finishing 2-for-3 with two runs scored and a double.
OTHERS NOMINATED: Nichole Fry (Long Beach State); Marisa Given (UC Davis); Melanie Olmos (UC Riverside)
BROOKE YANEZ, UC DAVIS – SOFTBALL PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Sophomore • LHP • Ventura, Calif. • Buena HS
A repeat honoree for Big West Softball Pitcher of the Week, UC Davis sophomore Brooke Yanez continued to shine with a stellar effort at the Aggie Invitational.
• Yanez finished a perfect 3-0 with a 0.37 ERA in three starts, helping the Aggies to a 5-1 record at their own tournament.
• She fanned 29 hitters in only 19 innings, walking just five and scattering 11 hits. She allowed just two runs (one earned) over the three appearances.
• Yanez tied a career best with 15 strikeouts against UTEP in the tournament opener. She gave up just an unearned run in the 4-1 victory.
• She allowed no more than four hits in any of her three starts. In a 3-1 win over Seattle, Yanez walked one and struck out eight in her third straight complete game effort.
• Opponents hit just .162 against her as she also posted a three-hit shutout in a 1-0 victory over Seattle - the team’s first shutout of the year.
OTHERS NOMINATED: Sophie Frost (Cal State Fullerton); Jillian James (CSUN); Izzy Dino (Hawai‘i)
IZZY DINO, HAWAI‘I – SOFTBALL FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
P • North Vancouver, B.C. • West Vancouver Secondary
Izzy Dino is the Big West Softball Freshman of the Week after piecing together three superb performances for Hawai‘i.
• Hosting the Hawai‘i Invitational, UH saw Dino post a 2-0 record with a sparkling 0.44 ERA in 16.0 innings pitched. She walked just four and struck out 10.
• Dino made her only start in the tourney opener against Canisius, and she went the distance allowing five hits and one run in a 4-1 triumph. She walked one and struck out four.
• Her next two appearances came in relief as she threw a combined nine innings of scoreless ball.
• Dino picked up the win in Friday’s 3-2 result over New Mexico. She tossed 3.1 innings with three strikeouts and three hits allowed.
• She shut down the Lobos in another bullpen appearance, holding them to just one hit over 5.2 innings and striking out three.
OTHERS NOMINATED: Dani Martinez (Cal State Fullerton); Megan Bower (UC Davis); Haylee Kela (UC Riverside)