Krustev, Boyden Go Undefeated In Tennis Competition
VICTOR KRUSTEV, UC SANTA BARBARA • MEN'S TENNIS ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
Sophomore • Ontario, Canada • Bill Crother’s Secondary School
UC Santa Barbara sophomore Victor Krustev tallied his second Big West Men’s Tennis Athlete of the Week award this season as he continued to play outstandingly in singles and doubles.
• Krustev posted a combined 4-0 record last week with two wins in singles and two more in doubles.
• Playing at No. 3 singles, Krustev, ranked No. 116 nationally, defeated his opponents from Utah State and Grand Canyon. He downed Felipe Acosta in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1, giving the Gauchos one of two points against the Aggies.
• He outlasted GCU’s Valentin Lang in three sets to record his third straight victory. The 6-0, 6-7, 6-1 triumph helped give UCSB the 6-1 team win over the Lopes.
• At No. 2 doubles, Krustev and teammate Joseph Rotheram rolled in both matches, taking down Sergiu Bucur and Rithvik Bollipalli of Utah State, 6-2, and Lang and Jakub Novak of Grand Canyon, 6-1. Krustev and Rotheram have won five of their last six doubles contests.
Others nominated: David Goulak (UC Davis); Mateusz Smolicki (UC Irvine)
SUSANNE BOYDEN, CAL POLY • WOMEN'S TENNIS ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
Junior • Raleigh, N.C. • Wakefield HS
Cal Poly junior Susanne Boyden excelled in both singles and doubles to capture Big West Women’s Tennis Athlete of the Week accolades.
• The Mustangs went 1-2 for the week with all three matches ending in 4-3 scores.
• Boyden defeated all three of her opponents in singles. At the No. 3 spot, she rebounded from a first set loss to win the next two and defeat San Francisco’s Rita Colyer, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4.
• She moved up to No. 2 singles for the next two opponents, winning both in straight sets. Boyden knocked off a conference foe in Sara Tsukamoto of UC Davis, winning 6-4, 6-0.
• Boyden also helped Cal Poly topple Pacific with her 6-2, 6-3 victory against Roos Nederstigt.
• Boyden and Grace Olyphant also went 2-0 in doubles.
Others nominated: Ana Fraile Toboso (CSUN); Natalia Munoz (Long Beach State); Nikita Pradeep (UC Davis); Flora Amiri (UC Irvine); Juliana Valero (UC Santa Barbara); Petra Melounova (Hawai‘i)