Parapunov Repeats as Men's Volleyball Player of the Week
RADO PARAPUNOV, HAWAI‘I • MEN'S VOLLEYBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Junior • Opposite • Sofia, Bulgaria • National High School of Math
• For the second straight week and the fourth time in his career, Hawai‘i junior Rado Parapunov notched the Big West Men’s Volleyball Player of the Week award after leading the Warriors to the Outrigger Resorts Invitational title.
• The 6-foot-9 opposite averaged 4.75 kills per set and hit .554 (38-7-56) as UH extended its season-opening win streak to 15 and set win streak to 45 – both school record runs. Named the tournament’s MVP, his 38 kills was a tournament-high.
• Parapunov hit .500 or better in every match in sweeps of King, #15 Ball State and #6 Pepperdine. In the championship match against the Waves, Parapunov swung at a .526 clip with 13 kills (13-3-19) to go along with three aces, four digs and three blocks.
• The Bulgarian national had a match-high 19 kills on .571 hitting against Ball State.
• He hit .556 (6-1-9) in two sets against King.
Others nominated: Dimitar Kalchev (CSUN); Josh Tuaniga (Long Beach State); Joel Schneidmiller (UC Irvine); Collin Shannon (UC San Diego); Spencer Fredrick (UC Santa Barbara)
GAGE WORSLEY, HAWAI‘I • MEN'S VOLLEYBALL DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Sophomore • Libero • Moraga, Calif. • Campolindo HS
• Gage Worsley turned in a stellar performance from the back row for his second Big West Men’s Volleyball Defensive Player of the Week honor this season.
• The 6-foot-1 sophomore helped Hawai‘i win its ninth Outrigger Resorts Invitational title with 34 digs over three matches for a 3.78 per set average.
• Selected to the all-tournament team, the libero posted two double-figure dig matches including a career-high 15 in the title match versus No. 6 Pepperdine.
• He did not post a reception error in 58 total reception attempts for the tournament, including a perfect 24-for-24 against Pepperdine.
Others nominated: Jordan Molina (Long Beach State); Austin Wilmot (UC Irvine); Ryan Lew (UC San Diego); Spencer Fredrick (UC Santa Barbara)
ALEXANDRE NSAKANDA, UC IRVINE •
MEN'S VOLLEYBALL FRESHMAN PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Opposite • Ottawa, Canada • Franco Cité
• Alexandre Nsakanda earned his second Big West Men’s Volleyball Freshman Player of the Week award after playing a vital role in a 1-1 split at No. 10 BYU.
• The 6-4 opposite made his second and third career starts at Smith Fieldhouse, and compiled 25 kills (3.57 kpg) over seven sets with a solid .435 (25-5-46) hitting percentage.
• He logged a career-high 14 kills in a four-set loss the first night and returned with 11 kills on .474 hitting (11-2-19) in the rematch, playing three sets in the 3-1 victory.
Others nominated: Taylor Ittner (CSUN); Ryan Wilcox (UC Santa Barbara)