Lopez, Nuno Collect Weekly Tennis Accolades
LUIS LOPEZ, UC IRVINE • MEN'S TENNIS ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
Senior • Chula Vista, Calif. • Utah State
UC Irvine senior Luis Lopez garnered Big West Men’s Tennis Athlete of the Week as he helped the ‘Eaters defeat Boston College and Villanova in non-conference action.
• Lopez went 4-0 on the week with two wins at No. 1 singles and two at No. 3 doubles.
• He clinched the match for the ‘Eaters against Boston College with a 7-6 (3), 7-5 win at No. 1 over Derek Austin. UCI went on to win the match, 5-2.
• Lopez also picked up a 7-6, 6-4 victory over Villanova’s Stefan Suarez as the ‘Eaters breezed to a 6-1 triumph.
• In doubles, Lopez and partner Bruce Man-Son-Hing snagged a pair of 6-2 wins over their counterparts from Boston College and Villanova. Both wins clinched the doubles point for the ‘Eaters.
Others nominated: Antoine Noel (Cal Poly); Andreas Whelan-Merediz (UC Riverside); Andre Ilagan (Hawai‘i)
SARAH NUNO, CAL STATE FULLERTON • WOMEN'S TENNIS ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
Senior • Sylmar, Calif. • Granada Hills Charter HS
Senior Sarah Nuno had an outstanding run as she helped Cal State Fullerton knock off two of the top conference contenders, earning Big West Women’s Tennis Athlete of the Week honors.
• Nuno’s wins at No. 2 singles were instumental in the Titans defeating Hawai‘i (6-1) and Long Beach State (4-3) at home.
• Nuno toppled UH’s Mayaan Sela, 6-2, 6-3, and then delivered a 6-4, 6-4 victory against LBSU’s Emma Bardet.
• She concluded the week with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Youngstown State’s Tamara Teufl. The Titans swept YSU for their fifth straight victory. Nuno has won four consecutive singles matches and is 6-2 on the year.
• The wins over UH and LBSU helped the Titans take over first place in the Big West standings.
• Nuno and partner Karla Portalatin went 2-1 at No. 1 doubles, including a 6-4 win over the UH tandem of Petra Melounova and Nikola Dolakova.
Others nominated: Emily Louie-Meadors (Cal Poly); Jessica Tsukiji (UC Irvine); Mahli Silpachai (UC Riverside); Amit Lev Ari (UC Santa Barbara); Petra Melounova (Hawai‘i)